Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Red Deer

This is one of the many trips I've made to this town. It's about 100,000 people, situated exactly between Calgary and Edmonton, so it makes for a good stop to go pee. There is an area known as "Gasoline Alley" which houses a bunch of restaurants, hotels and...of all things, a Harley Dealership. The better places to eat are on the south bound side of the highway. Usual fast food right through to sit down and eat food places.

Red Deer starts in the south with a massive block of chain stores, typical of most cities in Canada. It's a fairly large place & home to alot of people driving large trucks. I went through what I assume was downtown & it's not a terrible place. There is a college in Red Deer which seemed fairly large and the rumour is it's a city full of available women (the guys are all off working on the rigs).

At Red Deer, you start to notice the landscape of Alberta begins to change. The prairie ends & you get into rolling country side with way more trees. It's actually nice to see trees again, I like the open prairie, but it's a rather dull drive. Around Red Deer is where you stop being able to see the mountains. Red Deer seems to be the butt of jokes but I didn't notice anything unusual nor hear any wild banjo playing. Perhaps I've become accustomed to the western lifestyle (like how I don't think it's unusual to wear a cowboy hat to a mall....tho I would have thought that was insanity in Ontario).


Leaving Red Deer for Lacombe, Ponoka and a place called Hobbema

No comments: