Saturday, April 4, 2009

Edmonton: The Quarters



Edmonton's downtown is a far seedier and rougher place than Calgary. From about 109th Street east..most of the core is low rent & empty. There are pockets where the city has tired to fix things up but they've been somewhat unsuccessful although residents say that it's improved in the past few years.

The east side of downtown Edmonton is known as the Quarters..an area that reminds me of watching "Cops" when I was a kid. It's endless vacant lots or dilapidated houses and most of the population you'll see there are homeless folks or drug addicts. It's common place to see street walking hookers & there are more than a few sex parlours in the neighborhood. When I parked to take this photo with my Blackberry, I was approached immediately by a woman asking if I was looking for a good time..in broad daylight..with a cop car in plain view up the street. If you're a student of urban design you'll find this area of Edmonton fascinating. Low rent shops, stores & the portion of society that we left behind to suffer with their own ills.

I'd say half of the core is rundown and it may be why so many people see Edmonton as such a rough place. There looks to be a huge drug problem in downtown & the few times I've been there I've been approached by addicts & people that rise my guard (something that doesn't happen much).

Once you pass 109th Street, there is a notable change in the mood of the city core. I'll write about that next...but first it's the gym.

No comments: