Saturday, October 10, 2009

Big Rock & the Eddies



I bought a 12 pack of Big Rock Traditional on Friday and attached to the side was a calender of the Big Rock "Eddies". The Eddies are advertisements created for Big Rock by the people that drink the beer.

The above made me laugh because whoever created this is pretty savvy when it comes to micro brewed beer. Budweiser (aka InBev) recently sued Brick Brewing company in Waterloo, Ontario because they created a product called "Red Baron Lime". The law suit has something to do with the use of the term "lime" or something which..in my opinion..is retarded. It's just a case of a big ass corporation picking on a small, regional brewery that probably makes almost zero impact on their market.

The interesting part is that if you're from Calgary, you've heard of Big Rock Lime. Easily on of the most popular beers of the summer it was the drink of choice for many last summer and many pubs at BRL (Big Rock Lime) nights. I don't have figures available, but I'd bet my life savings that Big Rock Lime easily outsells the Brick Brewery version of the beer.

The above ad is a perfect example of "western swagger" and for all the right reasons. I suspect the reason Budweiser/InBev never went after Big Rock is because if they sued Big Rock they'd never sell another drop of Bud in this city (and Labatt is owned by InBev). One of the pleasant parts about being back in Calgary is the staunch support that locals give to their "own". You'd be hard pressed to find a microbrewery in North America that has the market penetration of Big Rock. This stuff is more common in Calgary than cowboy hats.

Bud Light Lime sucks anyway. So does the gay ass TV commercial "in the can".

2 comments:

cyn said...

Great post! I had the opportunity to work with Dennis de Jesus Jr (@jugojr) on this particular print ad, as well as this Eddies video entry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_xya2z2DDI.

In a city where it's common for big corporations to be in control, it's nice to see a company like Big Rock succeed. Budweiser can suck it!

Anonymous said...

My sis advised me about your site and the way great it
is. She’s proper, I am really impressed with the writing and slick design.
It seems to me you’re just scratching the surface in terms of what
you may accomplish, however you’re off to an incredible begin!


my web site - having trouble getting pregnant with second baby