Sunday, June 10, 2007

Nellies in the Mission

This Saturday, I walked down to Nellies in the Mission. Nellies is a small cafe like restaurant that specializes in breakfast. They have several locations around the city including one in Marda Loop and one on 17th Ave.

Nellie's is somewhat legendary in Calgary. The food is pretty good, but I wouldn't say it's great. I enjoy breakfast at the Palomino more.

One annoying point about Nellie's is that the bacon/ham/sausage is extra. It's not included in the price, so you have to add it in for another 1.25 or something like that. That sorta pisses me off because breakfast IS about bacon and eggs, not just eggs and toast. I also find the potatoes they serve to be only so-so. I do like the bread, I tried both Sourdough and Whole Wheat. The whole wheat is thicker.

One thing about Nellie's is that it's always crowded. If you don't like crowds you won't like Nellie's AND....the seats are very close together. It's almost impossible to walk into the place and sit down if someone else is standing. If you feel wigged out being 3 feet from a stranger, my advice is to go somewhere else.

Not a bad place, but a bit cramped at times. The server is fast, you'll be served in 5 minutes max & you can drink coffee to your hearts content. The atmosphere is sort of homey, the kinda place you'd expect to find in a small town in rural Ontario. She's really put alot of effort into that.

Worth the trip and you'll pay about 7.50 to eat there. The bacon (like all Alta meat) is very good.

No comments: