Sunday, June 29, 2008

The City of Rain



It has finally stopped raining in Calgary. Rain is apparently unusual in Calgary but you wouldn't have known it this year. From about Mid May to the first week of June, it rained incessantly. I lived along the Elbow River until June 1st and had underground parking. The risk of rising rain water was so bad I started staying out of town figuring I'd come down to my car one morning to find it floating in a sea of sewage/river water. I came home one weekend to find everything sand bagged and the Elbow River about 13 feet deeper than it usually was. Even the ducks left town for the weekend. The Elbow River isn't large, but it does go thru some very wealthy areas of Calgary where multimillion dollar homes sit very close to the bank. I have...NO idea who built these houses here, or why but they had no sense in your head. I don't think you need a degree in Engineering to say "no..let's not put a house 5 feet from the banks of a river that fills up from melting mountain snow.

No comments: