Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Purple Revolution Part 1


Prior to the 2010 civic election, I recall sitting in a Denny's style restaurant with a friend I'd known since high school.  We were discussing politics & the coming election in Calgary.  Long time mayor Dave Bronconnier had stepped down & the current favourites to win the mayor's seat were Ric McIver, a long time alderman & Barb Higgens, a media personality from CTV Calgary.  

The person I was sitting with commented how she hoped that she had met Nenshi & hope he would win.  I commented that his support was in the single digits & he was unlikely to even register with the voters. 

As the election neared the unlikely happened; Nenshi started getting support.  At the time I was living in the north area of Mission on 17th Ave.  The day of the election, I set out to walk downtown & the corners had "Vote Nenshi" scribbled in chalk on the sidewalk. The same was written on the walls of buildings, at bus stops & on every other public place one could write in chalk & do it without fear of getting fined.

After work I headed over vote.  My polling station was on 18th Ave just up the street from where I lived.  I arrived to find a line that came out the door and headed down the street.  The typical municipal election gathers little interest to voters but today it was clearly the opposite.  I set out to wait in line, finally getting inside after about 45 minutes to vote.  I knew something was up. 

Nenshi won, beating out second place Ric McIver by over 28,000 votes.  Calgary entered a new era in politics and a new era in Canada.  


No comments: