Monday, May 21, 2007

holy &#$*

Today I went grocery shopping for the first time living out here. I've been staying with people who were kind enough to let me live off their food & housing to get set up here.

I went to CO-OP which is considered much the same as Safeway. I started in the meat section where sliced meat is 2 to 4 dollars PER hundred grams. Sliced Havarti cheese is 2.79 per 100 grams. Over the fruits & veggie isle. A small bag of mini carrots was 3.69, 2 lemons 99 cents, vine ripe tomatoes 3 bucks a pound (these are the CHEAP tomatoes). Red Peppers, 3.50 a p ound and junk. Then to grab some bagels. 50 cents for each average bagel.

A small package of Becel was 4 bucks. Soy Milk is 5 dollars a package vs 3.49 at home.

I was in the isle looking for chick peas. I looked at the price, 2.00 a can, and I thought I was in the organics isle. Not. That's right, it's TWO bucks for a can of beans in Alberta. I paid 89 cents a can at home.

The meat section (i rarely eat meat) blew me away. Meat costs more here. Substantially more. Ironic, given that the meat is grown here, and it's raised on land that's pretty much useless for anything else. You can't grow much else on dead prairie grass. Bread is also more, which is retarded, given that this is the breadbasket of the world

Now, Superstore and T&T are cheaper, but these stores are large and require a long trip to get to one. I wanted to base the prices off my local supermarket

In short, food prices are 35% to 50% higher on average here in Calgary. And it's not much different eating out either. I don't each much fast food ,but I bought a burger combo at A&W and it was 9.14. Keep in mind that there is NO PROVINCIAL SALES TAX out here. So that price seems damn high.

Like to eat? You won't like it here.

No comments: