Sunday, July 29, 2007

"I need a second job"

I hear that phrase alot lately. I work for a handful of companies doing IT and I hear the people complaining about the high costs & the need for a second job. As prices continue to go rise, this seems to be the cry I hear from almost everyone.

The high costs of Calgary are starting to chase people out of town. I know a few people that are selling their places and moving away. Take the money and run as the song says. With houses at 500K, even a well paid dual income couple would have a tough time buying something here without 100K down. The costs of housing aren't just the problem....it's the high cost of food. They claim that inflation is 6% in this city, but I get the feeling it's more like 10 to 15% a year. Unless your salary is going up at that level, you can see where you'll end up. You'll need a second job too.

It really makes me shake my head that you'd need a second job in a city like this. I thought this was the Alberta Advantage? You'll get a few old timers that will tell you that "you don't pay the tax". This is a pile of bullshit. Food isn't taxable elsewhere & the 8% PST you pay in Ontario is far less than the 50% higher you pay for alot of things here.

No comments: