Sunday, July 29, 2007

Wireless Internet

One thing that really pisses me off about Calgary is the lack of Wi Fi. In places like Toronto and Waterloo they had municipal Wi-Fi systems. If you were in the city centre, you could fire up the laptop and you could connect to a system. They required an account, but they at least had one.

Calgary has none. It's entire city core, which has 250,000 workers in it has no Wi-Fi at all. Really annoying when you are sitting having lunch and want to surf

Another VERY annoying thing about this town is that cafe's and pubs CHARGE for the use of their wireless. A Starbucks will have Wi Fi, but it's via Telus & costs 6 bucks for an hour. That's outrageously expensive and a huge piss off. Free Wi-Fi in Ontario cafe's is commonplace & it's a great reason to go to a cafe. I can't speak for the rest of the province, but the places in Waterloo often had plugs for laptop users.

You'd think that as Canada's richest city they'd offer some form of muni Wi-Fi. Calgary's always talking about how it wants to be a player in the technical realm, but I'm not so sure. I think Waterloo & Ottawa have that hands down.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I second your thoughts, been in Calgary for two months and as a city it is really shocking the lack of free public access. I visited Victoria, BC a few weeks ago, access at half the cafes in the inner core. StarBucks charged of course, headed to the independently owned cafes, success.

Googled "calgary wireless cafe", non free that I know of, the Kensington cafe Higher Ground actually has internet cables and not wireless for free. If you want wireless there is a fee from some company. Stupid really. There they sit ten cables poking out of the wall....so 1995.

The search continues.

S.

www.eslspider.com
www.healthyexpat.com

Anonymous said...

I came upon your post while searching for free wireless.

Found a cute cafe on 10th St NW close to Memorial.

Free wireless with purchase and lots of plugs, not too loud music

Anonymous said...

oops forgot to mention the name and phone number
House Coffee Sanctuary
403 283 7879

Unknown said...

as Canada's richest city why would they give it away for free when they know people have money and will pay for it?

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on that!!During my stayed at Calgary..I went to one of their pubs to surf on the net!!I brought my laptop at that time..But I was really dismayed when one of the employees at that pub that I need to pay for the Wi-Fi..Well,I wouldn't mention that place,!!Calgary must have a Wi-Fi!!


calgary pubs