Thursday, September 20, 2007

It's time to go home

If you've worked in Toronto you know it's a badge of honour to work late. I spent time working for a huge financial institution in Toronto and I'd see people at their desks at 6 PM on a regular basis.

Here, its different. I often work till 5 15 or so, and I'm the last guy walking out of the building. I do computer consultant so I travel place to place and it's the same everywhere. By 4 30, the place is empty...everyone has gone home. And that's not just the worker ants either, but the senior people.

It's interesting how you become accustomed to working a certain way, as if you're "less" if you don't burn the candle at both ends. There is far more balance out here AND you aren't seen as a slacker if you go home on time. I think that's damn cool and I like it.

2 comments:

Jason said...

i know of certain people who rush out before the clock is even done so i dunno about every place in toronto being like that but toronto is for sure more uptight in general than some other places

porknbeanz55 said...

I live in Douglasdale, I work in Douglasglen. It's a 3 minute cummute home. No traffic. I usually have my ass on the couch at 4:33- 4:35 pm!