Thursday, September 20, 2007

Onterrible

I've heard this phrase a few times lately, it's what BC'ers call Ontario. There has always been a rivalry between Central Canada (known as the east) and Western Canada. For a long time it was about Oil and the Liberal government, but that seems to have ended outside of 50 year olds arguing about it in the Globe and Mail.

Calgary has it's faults and it's annoying at times, but the people here are much nicer than back in Ontario. I say this as a guy FROM Ontario. Calgarians are friendly, pleasant people most of the time. It is ALOT easier to meet people here than back home both at work & just out and about around the city. The level of paranoia seems far less & admittedly, so does the level of snobbery. I'm sure that'll raise the hackles of a few back home, but I'm writing what I see around me. If you're a single guy in Calgary I'd be willing to bet it's A LOT easier to meet someone of the opposite sex. People will talk to you on elevators & even smile at you on the street. In short, eye contact is OK. And for some people even welcomed.

Now..if they could just learn to PARK properly.

5 comments:

Jason said...

onterrible yup

Peter said...

Right on! I agree, living out west is so much better than in Onterrible. Montreal is pretty cool too.

Not sure what part of Ontario you were from, but I (unfortunately) wasted several years - against my will - in Barrie, ON. I even created a blog called "Barrie Sucks" - feel free to check it out at http://barriesucks.blogspot.com/

evision said...

www.onlineuniversalworkcom

Anonymous said...

Having lived in Onterrible for 43 of my 51 years of life and now living in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. there is definitely a big difference from where I live and Onterrible. People are more laidback here in the west - friendly, friendly, friendly. I walk down the street, people walk by and say hello with a smile, store clerks when I walk into the stores -friendly and asking if they can help you. No standing around in groups gossiping like in the stores back in Onterrible. My sister has lived in B.C. for 20 years now, will never go back to the east. My son now 19 went back to Onterrible in January of this year (2010) and came right back to the west 3 months later. Couldn't stand it in Onterrible.

michael smith said...

Airdrie Moving Company
Canmore Moving Company
Cochrane Moving Company
Strathmore Movers
High River Moving Companies
Okotoks Moving Companies
Moving Companies Red Deer
Moving Companies Edmonton
Leduc Moving and Storage
Riteway moving will provide professional Calgary and Edmonton Movers and you can moves confidently with Moving Companies of Calgary and Edmonton. Get a quote for Movers Calgary, Calgary moving companies, Affordable movers, residential movers Calgary.