Saturday, January 16, 2010

I love Chinooks


I spent last winter in Edmonton..and winter in Edmonton is a long, arduous hell and you can't wait for it to end. Months pass and the temperature never gets above -10C.

December was a pretty cold month in Calgary, we had weeks of temperatures that stayed below -25C. I don't mind the cold really..but I get sick of warming up my car & even more sick of slogging around in a half frozen city buried in snow. No wait, let me speak from the heart on this...it drives me FUCKING insane slogging around in a frozen wasteland buried in snow & constantly warming up the car. Or..having car windows constantly covered in frost on the inside. That is..without doubt one of the most ANNOYING things.

So..weeks passed and we had a bit of warming but nothing serious. Then came my best friend..the great Chinook of 2010. And the first one. It was -25C and suddenly it was 10C..and it's been 10C for at least 8 days. Gone are those ruts in the road. Gone is the piles of snow on the unplowed downtown streets. Gone is the gritty snow frozen to the ground making driving and walking annoying. And gone is most of the 2 gallons of window wash I used trying to keep my windshield clean

According to the Weather Network, it looks like we've got a few more days of Chinook weather left. I must admit it's incredibly disheartening to realize that it's only January and..several more months of winter lie ahead.

But that is life in Calgary and while winter is long, it's broken up by a soft warm wind that comes into town and makes everyone happen. If you don't live in Calgary or Southern Alberta, the best way I can describe a Chinook is like this. It's like being married for 20 years and having a 3 day affair with a very hot guy/girl complete with an ass so tight you can bounce a quarter off it. It's a few days of bliss in an otherwise long and exhausting event.

Mr Chinook. I am your fan. You are the snow plow of Calgary.

1 comment:

Paul Cannin said...

hey,
Great blog, I randomly came across this and its given me a great insight into Calgary, I'm moving over in July from Australia so its going to be a big change! Especially the winters.

Cheers

Paul