Saturday, January 16, 2010

Signs of a recovering economy



If you've lived or frequent Mission (4th Street SW) you've probably seen the area on 4th between 20th and 21st. It's that big gaping hope in the ground now surrounded by wood panels.

When I moved back to Calgary 3 years ago that patch of dirt consisted of a bunch of concrete pillars. It was the peak of the boom yet whatever was being built wasn't being built so it sat there. In 2008, someone came along, ripped out all the cement and dug a massive hole in the ground complete with a massive overhead crane. The thing was huge and had it fallen over, it would have crushed the place I was living in at the time.

Well, the recession hit and once again things ground to a halt. Instead of concrete pillars, now we had a hole that was 60 feet deep in the ground. The crane was still there and seemed to move sometimes but I think that was done remotely to adjust it for prevailing winds. It went idle just after I moved to Edmonton in Nov 2008.

I was coming up the street the other day and notice the crane was back in action. Not sure what's happening but it's nice to see & I hope that it's a return to building something there. A few other job sites around town have returned to the "being built" stage which is a good sign that the recession has probably ended.

I do hope they scale down the "upscale" in the place. The boom was great but I'd like to see my neighborhood STOP being gentrified by upscale condo's.

No comments: