Saturday, January 16, 2010

Presidents Choice Beer


The guy at my local liquor store and I were having a chat about "red" beer. When I want a good Red beer, I tend to get Wred from Wild Rose because Big Rock doesn't make it. The guy at the liquor store said I should try President's Choice Beer.

I was a bit skeptical at first. I'm not a fan of anything to do with the Superstore. It's big, it's messy & often it's very crowded and they're usually 10 kms away from the neighborhood I live in. I'm also a big fan of buying locally produced beer because I prefer supporting local independent businesses versus nameless corporations that really don't give a shit about me.

Well I did a bit of Googling and I was surprised to find out that PC Beer in Alberta is produced by......BIG ROCK!. With that in mind, I ventured into a Superstore Liquor Store to grab a 6 pack. If you've never been to a Superstore Liquor store it's just a large warehouse that carries "better" beer product but they do not chill it. Their prices are good though I find that some hole in the wall liquor stores do offer cheaper "junk" beer.

PC Red is pretty good. If you want to get a 6 pack for 6 bucks, THIS is the stuff. It doesn't have the swill taste you get from Boxer or "Beer Beer" and was surprisingly good for something that doesn't cost much money. It reminds me of Laker Red, a cheap buck a bottle beer in Ontario brewed by Brick.

My big question I have is....why doesn't Big Rock produce a premium version of this? I love Trad and Grasshopper..and if they added Red to the mix, I'd be a fan forever. Fuck, I'll get a Big Rock tattoo on my ass.

Side note: They've started packing this stuff in 12 packs now complete with cardboard. Makes it way easier to carry

4 out of 5 for this.

No comments: