Friday, March 16, 2007

Dell

A few months ago, I bought a Dell Laptop. I normally use Mac's, but alas, I'm an IT guy & I need to use Windows during the day, so I bought a high end Dell laptop.

Figuring it was almost time for Vista, I waited until Dell was at the stage where they gave you Windows but offered a free Vista upgrade. 5 weeks ago, I did the footwork to get the copy of Vista, but......nothing happened. Then I moved.

So I called today to tell them to re-direct the package to Calgary, not my old address. This is where the disaster starts.

If Dell has any wonders WHY it's business is sinking like a ship, it's service levels are the problem. I'm a patience person, but insource your call centre back to America. The guy on the other end could speak English, but it's clear it was not his first language. He had to spell my name, address & city several times to get it right. Thing is, he kept messing it up. I asked him, are you in India, but he wouldn't reply. I guess it's a hush hush thing.

The call lasted better than 30 minutes & all I had to do was redirect my copy of Vista. I'm not at the stage where I figure fuck it, I'll just go BUY a copy of Vista at the store. It's just less of a headache.

If you're going to out-source, do it in your own country. I understand how hard it is to learn a second language (seeing I have), but I'd never expect to be put in a situation where I was a CSR in that language. I simply can't speak that fluently.

And as I wrote this, I glanced at my Mac, sitting on the floor. I went to Carbon Computing to buy that thing. Turned it on and it worked. This Dell has crashed once & any support is based out of India. No wonder Mac does so well

Mac rocks. Too bad I can't get a job doing Mac support.

2 comments:

Jason said...

customer service from India? that is worse that Bell CS

Anonymous said...

Nothing can be worse than Bells Customer service.

Its funny that the guy didnt answer either.