Friday, March 9, 2007

Tim Horton's

Back in Ontario, there are at least 100 billion Tim Horton's. In my old hood, you could find four of them, all within .5 kms.

That's not the case here. I drove around for 20 minutes this morning looking for a Tim's, and finally found one on McLeod Trail (the main big box shopping mall road from hell). Calgary has a labour shortage, and it was noticeable. The line was out the door, and there was 3 people working the counter.

I seem to have the luck of always finding some tool to stand in front of me. The guy in front of me wanted some sandwich but wanted the woman to pick out the onions. The stupid part is the sandwich was some mixed up goo where the onions where in it, egg salad or something. The guy seemed pissed off at the clerk & even more so at the oriental lady that wasn't willing to pick out the onions. Dood goes on to make a joke about her ethnicity to the clerk, and they both laugh. It was audible enough for everyone to hear, including the asian woman making his sandwich.

I have a real short temper & I'm a real mouthpiece. I was right behind him and when he turned laughing hoping I'd join in, I asked him if he'd like to work here and serve assholes like him AND how much chinese he could speak anyway? He didn't seem to get my point, but I didn't expect him too. I got my coffee & when I was leaving smiled at the asian lady and said "Ni Hao", the mandarin phrase for "how are you". She said nothing, just smiled at me.

I've been here two days and almost everyone I've meet has been nice to me. They're far more polite than people in the GTA, but of course.....you're going to run into some tool that can't get the world is more than an oasis of white people that eat at Kelseys.

People like that make me pro nuclear

No comments: