Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Flames

I was downtown today after the Flames game & without knowing the score, I knew they lost. It was very quiet.

I watched the first period of this game. The Flames......well they sucked. 2 goals in the first few minutes and a slew of penalties. Coming from Southern Ontario, one gets to know Detroit & giving them a lead in the Joe Louis arena is NOT a good thing. Detroit fans are also rowdy & very passionate about the team. It's hockey town & the wings are one of the original 6.

I must give Flames fans credit. Back in 2002, the team was in the basement and about to leave town. The owners signed Iggy & things changed. Today, most of the city is splattered with Flames flags & logo's. Reminds me of Leaf fans who are arguably the most devoted/blind fans in the entire history of sport.

It'll take some time to dig the Flames. Growing up in the Leaf Nation, you can't help but have a sense of attachment to the Leaf jersey. The Leafs suck sometimes, but they are an embedded part of Toronto & Southern Ontario. Nothing says Saturday Night more than the sound of Hockey Night in Canada starting at 7 PM on CBC Toronto.

I hope the Flames do well, but Im not holding my breath.

No comments: