Monday, April 16, 2007

Forest Lawn

If you mention the words Forest Lawn to a typical Calgarian, they'll likely laugh or put down the 'hood. Forest Lawn is 17th Ave SE and the area around it. It's also known as International Ave.

Unlike many Calgarians, I like Forest Lawn. It's a nice escape from the over priced shops of the downtown neighborhoods. No high priced gelato in Forest Lawn. Even the Safeway is old & gritty. BUT....the area is full of interesting shops with cheap goods & ethnic food. Often the best food is served in those hole in the wall type shops that cannot afford the rent of the inner-city.

I'll say the same for the NE of Calgary. It's another area that's despised by many locals, yet it's another breath of fresh air for shopping & interesting stores. It also seems to be home to most of the good grocery stores.

Another little known secret about the NE is that their C Train isn't crowded. I'm guessing because it's a lower income area, fewer people have office jobs in the city core? Whatever the reason, I drive there in the morning to park my car so I can ride a C train that isn't a wall of people.

No comments: